How ‘smart’ is your home?
This week is Smart Home Week, when the very best of smart, connected and integrated home technology is showcased.
The latest research shows that 85% of people have heard of a smart home (compared to 57% in 2015) and almost one in four already have some smart capabilities in their home, do you?
Having a smart home can make things much more convenient, for example using your phone to check your heating settings or windows that tint automatically in the sun.
To coincide with Smart Home Week, the Top 30 things to make your home ‘smart’ have been revealed, and while they don’t all exist at the moment we hope to see them in the home of the future.
How good would it be if your wardrobe ironed your clothes or your cupboards and fridge were automatically restocked?
1) Self-cleaning toilets
2) A system that cleans the house for you
3) Windows that tint automatically in the sunshine
4) Fingerprint scanning door locks
5) A wardrobe that irons clothes while they are hanging up
6) Bathroom scales which test your BMI
7) Garages that charge your electric car just by parking on a giant pad
8) A fridge that tells you which foods are reaching their use-by date
9) ‘Fitbit’ style beds which record how good your night’s sleep is
10) Teleportation device
11) A bath that fills up in a split second
12) A self-loading washing machine
13) A detector that knows if someone has been in your room
14) Self-locking doors that lock at the same time each night
15) A bed that gradually wakes you up in the morning
16) A robot which delivers breakfast in bed
17) Carpet that retracts so you can have hardwood floors if you fancy a change
18) A self-sorting laundry basket
19) A counter which calculates how much exercise you need to do depending on what you eat
20) Some mechanical arms that come out the wall and change your bedding
21) Your fridge / store cupboards automatically re-order your regular shopping items for you.
22) A device which lets you know when you are running out of essentials such as bread or milk
23) A coffee ready as soon as the alarm goes off
24) A toilet that analyses your diet
25) Big Brother style security cameras
26) A TV which chooses the programmes for you
27) A fridge which knows when the shelves are full of meat
28) Shower heads with in-built Bluetooth to allow phone calls while washing
29) TVs that recognise who is watching and shows the right programmes
30) Something that brings you any food you want just by thinking about it